In 1946, a small group, inspired by founder Harold O. Basden, formed the Greater New York Bridge Council, a federation of active American Bridge Association chartered clubs in the New York metropolitan area. The Council, comprised of both experienced and younger players, enthusiastically worked to develop an organization to promote better tournament techniques, more skillful play and to encourage enhanced club and individual relationships. The original four clubs—Good Neighbor, Henry C. Parker, Tri State and Twilight—were soon joined by the Coronets, Knaves, Metros and North Jersey.
In 1954, the Council formed the Metropolitan Bridge Unit (“MBU”). Daisy Hamer, MBU’s first President, guided the organization through its formative period. Her term was completed by Benjamin Foster, who was succeeded by Judge Kenneth Shorter. Judge Shorter’s unexpired term was completed by Benjamin Foster, who thereafter served in his own right. In 1959, Jerome Primm, MBU’s fifth President, spearheaded the MBU Building Fund. The Community Bridge Home, established in 1994 in Cambria Heights, New York, is headquarters for the MBU. Open daily for Bridge games and lessons, the Bridge Home is the regular meeting place for four clubs (Bayview, Cosmopolitan, Jet Setter and Springfield).
Today, the MBU is led by President Lynda Straker and her committed team of officers and committee chairs who are dedicated to raising the bar for Bridge play in the American Bridge Association.